Why Stop Dreaming When You Wake Up?

 I have been encouraged over the past few months to "dream big!" What is it that you really want? I had been stuck in my small world of contentment, not realizing I was actually being complacent. I was truly happy doing what I loved. I did not care that I did not own a big house or new car. I loved the simple life, and did not seek after high paying jobs. But my jobs were not paying the ordinary expenses of life.

I realize I have potential - I could be doing more with the gifts God has given me. I admit to being lazy and undisciplined. I take the easy route when given a choice and avoid hard things, telling myself it's not worth my effort or energy to pursue. (In other words, I didn't want it that badly.)

So as I look towards my future and what I could be, if given the opportunity; I had to realize it was going to require work. What's that saying? "Anything worth pursuing is going to cost you in one way or another." I had just not been willing to attempt (or continue) something difficult. It is often said that you won't move out of your comfort zone until things get painful. How much pain am I willing to take? Do I have to hit rock bottom? I have to get to a point where I "hate" where I am and a desire to never be there again.

All this to say... I came across an email from 10 years ago that is relevant to today. It was from Crystal Paine @ MoneySavingMom whom I have followed for years, clipping coupons, and shopping deals. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

____________________________________________

"The economy has been hard on many families. Some of you have struggled through months (or even years!) of unemployment or underemployment.

When you struggle for a long time and are barely eeking by, it can be easy to want to give up. To feel like you’re never going to get anywhere or get out of the hole you feel like you’re stuck in.

I know the feeling. I've felt very hopeless and helpless at times in my life.


But if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you’ll never make any progress if you stop dreaming. You’ll never get anywhere if you feel like taking a step in the right direction is a pointless exercise.

We live in America and, compared with so much of the world, we have immense opportunities and possibilities at our disposal. Times are tough here for many of you, but you can still access so much free information online or at your local library.

You can start a blog... You can start a service job..... You can join local groups.... You can network with other professionals.... You can take classes..... to learn and grow as an individual and to help you develop a business or improve and sharpen your marketable skills.

I’m living proof that the American Dream is alive and well. 

I had no special skills, no special degrees or training or credentials, and no special marketable talents. But we needed money to eat and have a roof over our heads.

I may not have had credentials, but I had time and determination. And so I started trying things.

Over time, I’ve come to believe  that there is a world of possibility out there and it’s available to anyone who is willing to work hard, put forth effort, think outside the box, and not give up when the going gets tough.


So dream big dreams. Don’t give up hope. And don’t ever let anyone tell you that you’re stuck.

As long as you have breath in your body, there is opportunity out there for you!"

Note: This post was inspired by reading Frank Sonnenberg’s post, "Dream No Small Dreams."

I would agree with Crystal, that there is hope! Opportunity is out there (even 10 years later). We just have to continue dreaming and moving towards our goals!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wisdom

October 19 - Evaluate Your Life Day